Today we are continuing on with the Virtues of the Rosary series on the Just One Small Thing Podcast. Today I am tackling the virtue of Humility which is assigned to the Third Sorrowful Mystery, the Crowing of Thorns.
As just a quick reminder, I did not dream up the idea of assigning a virtue to each mystery of the Rosary–I’m just promoting something taught by many great saints included St. Padre Pio, St. John Paul II, and St. Mother Teresa. It is my hope that this series gives you lots to think about as you pray your daily Rosary. I love mediating on the virtues as I pray–and if you would like a tool to help you reflect a bit more, I encourage you to download and use a set of FREE coloring pages, one for each mystery of the Rosary. They are full of powerful quotes from the saints on each of the virtues. Find them here: https://www.catholicsprouts.com/virtue
Humility is the virtue that St. Mother Teresa called the most important virtue and this is because it makes all of the other virtues possible.
True humility is simply knowing who God is and who you are.
In the episode I spend a lot of time talking about witnessing my sister take her final vows a month ago, so if you are curious about that, make sure to listen in.
I also share 15 rules Mother Teresa laid out for pursuing humility. Here they are:
- Speak as little about yourself as possible.
- Keep your nose out of other people’s affairs.
- Avoid curiosity about things that don’t concern you.
- Don’t interfere in the affairs of others.
- Accept small irritations with a good humor.
- Do not dwell on the faults of others.
- Accept censures, even if unmerited.
- Give into the will of others.
- Accept insults and injuries.
- Accept contempt, being forgotten and disregard.
- Be courteous and delicate even when provoked.
- Do not seek to be loved and admired.
- Do not protect yourself beyond your own dignity.
- Give in in discussions, even when you are right.
- Always choose the more difficult task.
Wow–I have a LOT to work on, do you?
Thank you for being here and listening in. Here are a few links mentioned in the episode:
- All of these virtues, along with beautiful paintings, reflections and prayers can be found in my Rosary Book.
- If you are looking for a beautiful academic planner, check out my Marian Themed Planner. It is on sale now.
- Make sure to download the free coloring pages that will help you remember and engage with the virtues of the Rosary.
Your sister in the small things,