Here is a project I shared over at Sugar Bee Crafts a few weeks back. I still love it, and have my coffee sitting on one of them right now!
This is a super simple project that will add a little funky charm to your living room.
(Is there any other kind of charm than funky charm?!?) And plus, they are really fun to make!
Just a little side note before we get to the project: I draw inspiration from all sorts of places and this project was inspired by all the “free motion” sewing/quilting I have been seeing.
I don’t have a free-motion foot for my machine yet, but it is definitely on the list and the good news is that this project was easy to do without a free-motion foot!
I am drawn to projects that are “messy”, so the free motion sewing is right up my alley.
So, who’s ready to make some CRAZY felt coasters?
- Various Colors of Wool Felt
- Sewing Machine (regular foot or Free-Motion Foot)
Here’s the how-to:
- First, cut out three circles for the front of the coaster in three different felt colors and various sizes. Cut also a second larger circle for the back. (Now, since wool felt is more expensive, I used cheap acrylic felt for the backing of my coasters).
- Next, head to the sewing machine with the top three pieces arranged, and the bottom backing piece behind. Start at one edge and sew in a spiral around the coaster until you reach the center, making sure to tuck the top circles under the sewing machine foot as you go.
- Then, trim any parts of the edge that don’t match up, or where the back piece is showing.
- Finally, head back to the sewing machine and go nuts sewing around and around and around the edge. This step is really fun. Make sure that the lines are a little messy and that they aren’t all on top of each other.
Pour yourself a cup of tea, grab your book and relax!
I love it! This project is a nice marriage of craft and art!