Let’s continue our exploration of Catholic Social Teaching as we await the launch of our new book, CATHOLIC SOCIAL TEACHING FOR YOUTH, which will be available sometime in May. Stay tuned!
Today’s episode explores the BIG topic of Medical Ethics. Basically, how do catholics decide if a specific medical procedure or treatment is ethical? To this end, the Church has outlined for criteria which we can use to evaluate medicine:
- The technology must not use one person as an object to benefit another.
- The technology must say “yes!” to life, and never end or damage the life of anyone at any stage.
- The technology must say “yes!” to marriage and family.
- Our use of technology must respect the will of God. (Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services: Sixth Edition)
Therefore, through this lens I look at several different modern medical options including vaccines and IVF.
I hope that this discussion is helpful as you prepare to share this important topic with your children, so they are able to make informed and ethical choices.
Our exploration of medical ethics comes directly out of our new book, CATHOLIC SOCIAL TEACHING FOR YOUTH. Catholic Social Teaching for Youth is not on sale yet, but will be soon. Look for the book to be on sale in May!
In the meantime, please use this Catholic Social Teaching Cheat Sheet. It outlines what the Church teaches on each topic and offers you a brief description of the beauty we should reinforce as we teach.
Get it here: https://omniform1.com/forms/v1/landingPage/61ba0f0cbe1f5d001d03c28e/64110c69b09e89c71966c120
Thank you for listening to the Just One Small Thing Podcast. Tuning in each week means so very much! Want to hear more great Catholic content perfect for the whole family? Make sure to tune in each day to the CATHOLIC SPROUTS PODCAST. https://catholicsprouts.com/catholic-sprouts-podcast/
Looking for a way to support this podcast? Here are some ideas:
- Say a prayer for us! This would be SUCH a gift!
- Share this podcast with a friend!
- Purchase something in the Catholic Sprouts Shop: https://shop.catholicsprouts.com/
- Drop Nancy an email at [email protected] with a word of encouragement or an idea for a future episode.
This podcast is dedicated to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. May we all meet there one day!
Your sister in the small things,
Leave a Reply